• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

How to make a Darkcoin Paper Wallet

TanteStefana

Foundation Member
Hi,
I’m writing a tutorial for n00bsys0p’s Darkcoin Paper Wallet Generator because it has not yet been included in the bitcoin paper wallet site yet, though it is a fork.
  1. Make a folder inside a jump drive, call it something like Darkcoin paper wallet generator
  2. Go to the github fork https://github.com/n00bsys0p/bitcoinpaperwallet
  3. Make sure you have the darkcoin branch selected. You can see the drop down menue on the left site with a rectangular green button next to it that looks like arrows doing the yin/yang thing, like a recycling sign…. Sorta. I sometimes end up in the main branch, messed me up a lot of times! Branch: darkcoin
  4. Ok, now on the right, you can find one button that says clone in desktop and another that says Download Zip, you want to download the zip button.
  5. Unpack it into your folder on your jump drive.
Now when you go into this new folder, called bitcoinpaperwallet-darkcoin, you can click on the html file. It will open to a page where you move your mouse around and it generates a bunch of random numbers. We need to do something else first, so hit that skip button and the next page will have a drop down menu. select darkcoin at the bottom there, and you'll go back to the random number generator. Move your mouse around the page until it's satisfied and sends you back to the second page again.

From here, you can follow the directions on the site. Also, please look at this site to see how to do this in the most secure way possible:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Paper_wallet
Remember, doing this online, or on your computer with an internet connection are the most insecure ways of doing this. follow the tutorial above as much as possible to secure your wallet the best way possible.

Note: a good live CD to use is Ubuntu, which, when you boot into an Ubuntu cd or jump drive as if you're going to install it, gives you the option to try it out. This is what you use to generate your wallet and it's called a "live version" of the operating system. having never been installed, it won't have malware. I've found that once your wallet is generated, you can "Print" to file as a PDF which can often be loaded into a computer without an internet connection via a jump drive, or else, for the last step, turn off your internet connection and just print it from your regular computer. This is slightly less secure, but not too bad.

Please ask questions, I'll keep an eye on this thread so as to answer :)

Here are n00b's tip accounts, please send him a little something for his time and trouble, it's a great paper wallet and it's unfortunate that the originator of the wallet hasn't added it to their site :(

DRK: XgzYEhmfofeS3eGCZBeArDW6mdwoRVpQHy
FUNK: CWTueBu234aQm1rd5meqXHGYbe4tfwfvy3

Please read more below

Last edited by a moderator:
This is an awesome intro. I'm definitely going to try it out. Thanks Tante!

Just be sure to try it out with TINY amounts first!

OH, I forgot to explain how to retrieve your account! Ok, so what you do is get yourself a blank wallet, I'm not sure if this can be added into an existing wallet (don't do it), I don't think so though, anyway, open up Help >> Debug window then go to the console tab, and type in importprivkey <darkcoinprivkey> Or go here to see more in-depth all the options, etc...
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/How_to_import_private_keys

Anyway, immediately send those coins to your wallet and throw away the paper wallet. consider it used up like a used band-aid (I thought of something grotesque but this sounds better, LOL) In fact, never use your existing wallet, it's too dangerous! When places such as coinbase or somewhere allows for importing private keys, like they do for Bitcoin, it'll be so much easier to deal with retrieval. But even then, you want to empty that wallet and not use it again!

To send your paper wallet coins, just use the public address to send coins (starts with X), In fact you can make a notepad with these public addresses so you can cut/paste them from the wallet generator to the notepad then later to your computer. Just keep the private key safe and off line!

InternetApe just made one as well, you can probably find a link on the first page of the announcement thread :)

http://paper.darkcoin.io/
drkWlt.PNG

Thanks for the nice guide :)

Which paper-wallet generator do you guys recommend?
I notice that paper.darkcoin.io doesn't use the mouse randomization bitaddress.org uses; should this concern me?

Also, when importing the privkey I understand this should be done with a completely blank wallet.dat?
So I just back up my actual wallet.dat somewhere else and use a "throw-away" wallet.dat to import and send to my actual address?
Or should I do this on another computer with a fresh install of the QT?

I don't know if it really matters. Supposedly the randomizer is even better??? you can import the private key into any wallet, but basically, the private key is then used up, you've merged it with your wallet at that point.

Please someone, correct me if I'm wrong. I tried it out, and that is how it seemed to work for me, it added the balance to my wallet.

InternetApe,
The last tab of http://paper.darkcoin.io is "Wallet Details". Is this functional? Why is it that pasting a private key from the bulk wallet does not accept this address? The result says:
The text you entered is not a valid Private Key!
Would you like to use the entered text as a passphrase and create a Private Key using a SHA256 hash of the passphrase?​
I was hoping to test some vanity addresses before sending to them. Is there another way to do this? Thanks in advance!

InternetApe,
The last tab of http://paper.darkcoin.io is "Wallet Details". Is this functional? Why is it that pasting a private key from the bulk wallet does not accept this address? The result says:
The text you entered is not a valid Private Key!
Would you like to use the entered text as a passphrase and create a Private Key using a SHA256 hash of the passphrase?​
I was hoping to test some vanity addresses before sending to them. Is there another way to do this? Thanks in advance!
Indeed it looks broken. Anyways, to test the private keys you can import them on a "cold" computer without internet access or inside a VM without "cable connected".

Hey guys,
I'm new here but i'm a big supporter of DRK
I have a question regarding importing my private key to my QT wallet:

i used the command importprivkey and then my private key that i had stored, but the console keeps saying :
Invalid private key (code -5)

can anybody help me with this?

thanks a lot!

Greetz

is it possible that a paper wallet generator gives you a wrong private key with your public adresse?

is it possible that a paper wallet generator gives you a wrong private key with your public adresse?
That should not happen. This is the worst nightmare of every crypto holder :)
Always check the private key on an offline wallet somewhere before sending big amounts.

Where did you generate the keys? You can PM me with the privatekey and I can validate whether it's working or not.

Back